Wednesday 12 December 2007

Ba hum bug

So then... Christmas is nearly upon us again. Which means after work shopping, stressing, and worst of all spending money.

I don't understand Christmas. To celebrate the birth of Baby Jesus (who wasn't even born on 25th December) we buy a tree, put gilttery stuff, twinkly lights and sweets on it, pull crackers, wear paper hats and eat Turkey. I'm sure this was all easily available in Bethlehem at the time.

How does a Christmas tree symbolise Jesus? I for one have never seen a fir tree in any pictures of Bethlehem. Not being a tree expert I don't have a clue where I would go to find a fir tree either. Canadian mountains, perhaps?

And where did the idea of Santa Claus come from?

"Our Christmas mascot will be an obese, old man, with a big, white, bushy beard. He shall also have a particular liking towards whisky and mince pies."

It seems the people who created Santa Claus had no idea that men of this description already existed in Yorkshire.

Can you tell I was stuck for ideas for this blog?

Seasonal rant over, I can now look forward to hours of spending money on things people want, but will probably never use. Ba hum bug

Merry Christmas

No comments: